Monday, February 2, 2009

Groundhog Day

Groundhog Day falls on February 2nd. It's the mid point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. If the groundhog sees his shadow, according to folk tales there will be six more weeks of winter. If it is cloudy and there is no shadow, spring is coming! The day originates from the German tradition of looking to a badger or a hedgehog's shadow for a weather report in early February.

This morning I had such High Hopes. It seemed like it was going to be overcast, thus no shadow, but now it's sunny. I feel 6 more weeks of depression coming on! Besides, this tradition seems backwards to me. I think if the day is SUNNY, it would indicate Spring coming early, but that's just me, and apparently I'm wrong.

I am SO ready for Spring. I can't wait to see green grass, flowers poking their heads out of the ground, and leaves budding on the trees. Yesterday I could feel it coming. The day was only in the mid 30's (barely above freezing!) but it felt warmer.

Guess I'll get on with my tradition of watching Groundhog Day

Tell Me Who/Where You Are!

My Personal Widget