Saturday, January 6, 2007

Beginning Now....

It's said that "Time flies when you're having a good time"--so apparently I'm having a GREAT time, because I'm continually wondering how the year passed so quickly!


Our lives have changed, rearranged and settled into new patterns that closely resemble the old patterns. Sometimes it seems like the same old- same old, but it's actually the new and improved in the same old package. Maybe I should use the old marketing trick of bright, new packaging!


Which would be interesting with my current face. I've begun avoiding mirrors. It's difficult to come to terms with the face that looks back at me. The wrinkles I can deal with. They are my honor badge. (badges!!) I earned these wrinkles living an interesting life!! But 50+ years of gravity cannot be overcome, and I find not only my face, but my body drooping in ways that I'd previously ascribed to OLD people! Guess that's me! I find myself wishing that I'd begun standing on my head for a few hours every day of my life!


They say "You're only as old as you feel" and I suppose it's true. Problem is, I began describing myself as having an OLD soul some time ago. At the time, it seemed profound. Now I wonder if it only hastened the process of the inner reflecting the outer. Hey! Makes sense to me. So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.


Actually, the freedom that has come with an aging body has been tremendous. I'd not realized how much mental chatter and effort I was putting into appearances. Suddenly I've accepted myself as I am (which was harder than it sounds) and my attitude is take me or leave me--it's all the same to me. After spending a lifetime of refusing to leave the house without my hair arranged, some color on my face and matching clothes, I've done a complete 180. One day I found myself at the grocery store with no face paint, bed head and clothes that not only didn't match, they actually clashed! After I finished laughing at my reflection in the store door, I realized It was one of my finer moments!!

Tell Me Who/Where You Are!

My Personal Widget