Thursday, June 12, 2008

It's Raining, It's Pouring....


That nursery rhyme from childhood plays in my mind: It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring...bumped his head when he went to bed and he couldn't get up in the morning. I don't know about the whole tune, but the raining and pouring is correct. It's also thundering (old man snoring?) and lightening, with occassional hail and the odd tornado! FUN! or not.

The tornado sirens have gone off several times during the past few days. Everyone prepares to evacuate to the basement, but then it passes by and we are spared again. I stashed some snacks and water downstairs. Never know when they'll be needed.

The flooding is more serious. The ground is saturated, the level of many lakes and rivers is up and there is nowhere for the water to go. So there are many detours. I've seen people drive through the barricade and cross the washed out road. Hell, I used to do the same thing in California. But no more. A directive was issued warning people not to drive into flooded areas. They say "Most flood deaths occur in automobiles. Never drive your vehicle into areas where the water covers the roadway. Flood waters are usually deeper than they appear. Just one foot of flowing water is powerful enough to sweep vehicles off the Road. When encountering flooded roads make the smart choice... turn around... don't drown." It made an impression on me!!

I'm nearly ready to start singing another childhood melody, "Rain Rain, Go Away. Come Again Some other Day!"

Tell Me Who/Where You Are!

My Personal Widget