Saturday, October 18, 2008

Madison Symphony Orchestra

We bought season tickets to the Madison Symphony Orchestra. Sunday is our second performance and I'm really looking forward to it.

This week we'll be seeing cellist, Alban Gerhard, one of the most sought-after European cellists, playing the Edward Elgar Concerto for Cello and Orchestra in E minor, Op.85. I've read it's not just one of the most important cello concertos; it's also a great audience favorite because of its delicacy and melancholic beauty.

Actually, I know I'll enjoy it because I went to the dress rehearsal on Thursday and got a taste of what's to come. The anticipation is thrilling me.

The Symphony plays in the Overture Center for the Arts, a wonderful venue.Overture Hall | Overture Center for the Arts | Madison, Wisconsin
The 2,251-seat performance hall is designed and constructed for exceptional acoustics and an intimate theater experience. As a result, the hall delivers rich, true sound throughout, reaching even to the back balcony.
Our seats are not quite the back balcony, but close. It's all we could afford this time, and I'm just happy to be able to attend. So far, it's been a wonderful investment!

This performance features the Overture Concert Organ, on Gustav Holst's The Planets, Suite for Large Orchestra, Op. 32The dedicated concert organ has handmade tin pipes, gold leaf accents and wave design. It was commissioned from the century-old firm of Orgelbau Klais Bonn, in Germany. This will be the second time we're heard the organ.

I think this calls for champagne, before the performance!

Tell Me Who/Where You Are!

My Personal Widget