Saturday, January 28, 2012

Caring for Your Introvert


Caring for Your Introvert - The Atlantic
One of my friends posted this article on her Facebook account. I read it and had an epiphany!
I'm an Introvert!

This took me back to 10th grade. For our Science Project, our teacher had suggested we test our fellow students to see if we were Introverts or Extroverts. Something to do with squirting lemon juice into people's mouths and watching how they salivate. I remember this, because the test said I was an Introvert, but we felt it had to be wrong because I wasn't shy.The Science Project would have had better results if we'd actually know what Extroverts and Introverts were. Still, I was surprised to find which category I favor once I understood the basic concept. I am definitely an Introvert, and proud of it!

My favorite people to hang out with are Extroverts. I love people that laugh easily, are usually having fun, and tend to be optimistic and cheerful. People tend to see me that way because I hang out with those types of people. I used to believe it myself. Lately I've come to realize that I can appreciate FUN people, without actually being FUN myself.

The part of being an Introvert that I can most relate to is needing quiet and periods of rest. That is one of my defining characteristics! Maybe knowing doesn't make a real difference in my life, but I'm glad to have this piece of the puzzle. Knowledge IS power!

The cartoons are to illustrate the new book about Introverts "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain. Guess I'll be reading that next!

Tell Me Who/Where You Are!

My Personal Widget