Friday, November 7, 2008

Have Arrived, Haven't Settled In....

THANK GOD the move is over. We had the truck for 2-24 hour days, so technically we had it for 3 days, as we didn't pick it up until noon. The first day we loaded up all the small boxes from the office, all the books, the bookcases, and anything else that would fit. Actually, Loren loaded the truck while I kept packing. The truck was full. We unloaded, and planned to get everything we'd hauled put away. NOT! By the time we got the stuff off the truck, all we wanted was to relax and get ready for the next day.

A nice Mexican couple and their two small children came by to buy the bed and the table we've been using for a desk. They wanted the desk I had for sale, but we told them I'd promised it to someone else that was picking it up Wednesday morning. After they left, I sent an e-mail to the couple saying they ABSOLUTELY had to pick up the desk, as I'd turned down a chance to get rid of it!

Before we went to bed, we were looking at all the stuff that still had to be moved, and began wondering where it would all fit. Oh well, we thought if we went to sleep, either some marvelous idea would present itself, or someone might break in and relieve us of half out possessions (the half we aren't attached to, ha!ha!ha!).

Morning came, and with it came the realization that we'd gotten ourselves into this mess (literally) and would have to get ourselves out. Two guys came to help Loren load the furniture. Mostly it went well, until they had to move the sofa. When we bought it last month, Loren and the seller moved it into the house with just a minor hiccup, which was quickly resolved.

Moving it out was a Keystone Cops Caper for sure.
It took all four of us, and the couch was lifted, and shifted, turned and tossed. Eventually it got stuck in the stairwell, dimpled the wall, and after much cussing and sweat, was finally tortured out the door and onto the truck. There was only a small footprint for it to fit in, and of course, it didn't fit. I went back inside and the guys spent another 20 minutes doing the hokey pokey with the couch, until it finally turned itself about and fit. That's really what it's all about!

While that fiasco was going on, the couple ABSOLUTELY came to get the desk. They also took a bookcase and a few little odds and ends. We put LOTS of stuff out on the sidewalk and 90% of it found a new home within hours.

Eventually, most of the stuff was out of the house and on it's way to the new apartment. We lifted, toted, and hauled until I was worn out, and Loren ached in muscles he'd forgotten he possessed. Since we'd sold the bed, we made up beds on the floor and fell into them, exhausted.

The third day was nearly the worst. What was left in the house was the sort of stuff you just don't know what to do with. Loren took 3 loads in the car while I started cleaning. It seemed like an Aegean Stable sort of nightmare, in that I couldn't see an end to it.

Finally at 10pm, the old house was clean, the last load in the car and my bed was calling my name in a very convincing voice. I had to be at work at 7:30am, but it's only a 5 minute drive now, so that is good.

The new house will be wonderful when it's finally organized. Just now there are boxes and piles and clutter everywhere! I took pix, but can't find where I packed the cable to transfer the pix to the just use your imagination. It's a real mess!!! While I was at work, Loren unpacked and organized the kitchen. He did a great job, and I'm not going to change it, much.

It's a lot of new things all at once, especially for the Buy Guy (Loren). New apartment, new car (new to us), new job (Loren got hired at Whole Foods in the Bakery. He'll be learning how to make bread!!!!). Best of all, a new future for the country! Happy Days are Here Again!

Tell Me Who/Where You Are!

My Personal Widget